Headaches and migraines can be debilitating. They often affect every area of your life. Maybe you have to cancel plans, miss precious time with your family and loved ones, leave work early, or push through those things and miss real connection in the process. It’s hard to describe them to others. If they haven’t personally dealt with them, it’s hard for them to truly understand what you are going through.
Fortunately, this is one of the most common conditions we help with in our office. Misalignments in the neck, muscle spasms, nerve pressure and abnormal blood flow can all be underlying causes behind chronic headaches and migraines.
Holistic remedies for headaches and migraines
Here are the top five recommended holistic remedies to alleviate headaches and migraines.
- Drink plenty of water. Make sure you start your mornings out with water. A good rule of thumb is to drink half of your body weight (lbs) in ounces every day.
- Get enough sleep. Chronic fatigue is a huge factor that leads to headaches. Make sure you are getting 7-9 hours of sleep every night because consistency is extremely important. Try to get in the habit of going to sleep and waking up at the same time.
- Practice mindfulness. Prayer and meditation help decrease stress in our lives. To prepare yourself for all that life can throw at you, make sure you are getting enough quiet time each day.
- Be conscious of posture. Bad posture is not only unattractive, it can destroy your health! To eliminate strain, your head should be upright, over your shoulders, with your chin level to the ground. Make sure your butt is at the back of the chair when you are seated and your feet are on the ground. Looking down at your phone while texting can put 60 pounds of pressure at the base of your neck. This will cause the muscles at the base of the skull to get very tight and can progress into a headache or migraine.
- Chiropractic Care. Chiropractic is based off the premise that your body is designed to heal and be well. Symptoms are a warning sign that there may be an underlying problem your body isn’t able to overcome. Once they find the cause, they look for holistic ways to remove that cause and help restore healing within your body.
Get to the Cause
A proper examination is the key to determine the underlying cause or causes behind your headaches or migraines.
In our office, we provide a thorough consultation, spinal evaluation, neurological scans and any necessary x-rays to everyone that comes in. We do this to uncover the cause behind your headaches or migraines. Once we find the cause, we lay out a customized treatment plan to help restore healing in your body.
As we remove the cause, your body starts to heal and function more efficiently and the symptoms go away. Take a look at our calendar to find a time that works best for you.